General Mills Retro Cereal 4 of 5 Giveaway
We love General Mills products in our home….whether it’s Cheerios, Honey Nut Cheerios, the list goes on and on. In 2009, I had a blast at the General Mills Blogger Event in Minnesota, where I learned a ton about General Mills, as well as their different products. I was excited to recently have the opportunity to review the new and limited General Mills Retro Cereal Packages!
Now through mid-March, the cereal aisle just turned into memory lane. While supplies last, Target stores nationwide will carry five limited-edition General Mills Big G cereal boxes featuring fun “Retro” package designs and cartoons from the 50s, 60s, and 80s. This year, the packaging was chosen based on a national survey conducted by General Mills, which asked consumers to pick their favorite Retro package designs. The top packages chosen include Cheerios (1956), Trix (1968), Honey Nut Cheerios (1984), Cinnamon Toast Crunch (1984), and Lucky Charms (1989).
“Retro is so in right now – whether it’s clothing, cars, games or packaging,” said Lindsay Backer, associate marketing manager. “We’ve seen great success with this promotion the last few years and continue to build on that with the packaging and promotions offering families fun and memorable breakfast experiences that evoke childhood memories.”
This year, consumers were also asked to share thoughts and opinions about their childhood memories of breakfast cereals, including favorite characters, promotions, prizes, cartoon characters and shows. Many identified rings, submarines and cars as favorite promotions on cereal packages; most preferred prizes over games and favorite Big G cereal characters were Lucky the Leprechaun, the Trix Rabbit and Buzz from Honey Nut Cheerios.
The package promotion on each of the cereal boxes features Retro cartoons. After the packages reach the stores, consumers can go to www.grocerysavvy.com and view some cartoons from the past, while enjoying a fun morning with family and friends over breakfast. If families are looking for a little challenge during breakfast, they can test each other’s knowledge on milestones during the original package introductions such as, a gallon of gas cost 22 cents in 1956; the original Hawaii 5-0 debuted on TV in 1968, and now it’s back on the air; Apple Macintosh was introduced in 1984 and stonewashed jeans were all the rage; and in 1989 the Berlin Wall came down.
This promotion marks the fourth year retro packages have been re-introduced and is being supported with Target ad circulars, prominent promotional space at check lanes in all stores, blog outreach featuring retro trivia contests, and radio promotions across the country.
Big G cereals are pleased to support families by providing both entertainment and nutritious breakfast options. Cereal is one of the healthiest breakfast choices parents can make, giving families yet another reason to feel good about choosing Big G cereals. Ready-to-eat cereal has fewer calories than most other common breakfast options, while also being nutrient-dense and many varieties are low in fat.
The limited-edition cereal boxes are available exclusively in Target stores nationally. For a Target store near you, visit www.Target.com, and for more information on Big G cereals visit www.GrowUpStrong.com or www.WholeGrainNation.com.
FEATURED CEREAL FUN FACTS – 1984 – Cinnamon Toast Crunch
-#1 Song: “When Doves Cry” – Prince
– The Cosby Show debuts on NBC. The sitcom is widely considered the most popular show of 1980
– Vanessa Wiliams becomes first African American Miss America
– Mary Lou Retton wins two gold, two silver and two bronze Olympic medals
– The Space Shuttle Discovery takes off on its maiden voyage
– Ronald Reagan defeats Walter Mondale with 59% of the popular vote, the highest since Richard Nixon’s 61% victory in 1972. Reagan carries 49 states in the electoral college; Mondale wins only his home state of Minnesota by a mere 3,761 vote margin and the District of Columbia
Popular Fads/Products etc:
– The Apple Macintosh is introduced
– The Band Aid single is released
– Stonewashed jeans are introduced
1 lucky reader will win a General Mills Retro Cereal Prize Pack, including 1 package with five limited edition boxes of General Mills Big G Cereals and 1 $10 Target Gift Card!!!!
WIN IT!!! (MANDATORY ENTRY)
– Tell me in a comment one favorite memory you have of Trix from your childhood.
– Follow The Mommy-Files on Twitter – 1 ENTRY
– Tweet about the giveaway – 1 ENTRY DAILY
– Become a Fan of The Mommy-Files on Facebook– 1 ENTRY
– Follow me through Google Connect (new on the right side of the blog) – 1 ENTRY
– Subscribe to my blog – 1 ENTRY
– Add my Mommy-Files button to your blog and include the URL – 1 ENTRY
– Comment on any Non-Giveaway post on The Mommy-Files – 1 ENTRY per post comment (no limit)
– Blog about this giveaway and include the URL – 5 ENTRIES
– Contest will close at 11:59 p.m. PST on Thursday, March 17th, 2010! Any entries after this time will be deleted!
– Contest open to U.S. residents only.
I received product samples from General Mills to facilitate this review. The giveaway was sponsored by General Mills. All opinions expressed in this post are 100% mine.