Popular Methods of Body Hair Removal in 2021
Today, on Redhead Mom, I’m sharing a partnered guest post about popular methods of body hair removal in 2021.
Body Hair Removal: Top 8 Procedures
Modern beauty standards and personal preference have pioneered the development of various methods for body hair removal. Read to find out how body hair removal has advanced into the 21st century with BYou Laser Clinic advice.
Shaving traditionally started in barbers. It has since expanded to safe, reliable home body hair removal with specially designed razors. Men and women can shave any part of their body wet or dry, depending on preference.
How Long Does Shaving Take?
Shaving takes an average of 10 minutes for men and longer for women, especially when there are multiple places to attend to. That’s almost three days a year just on basic body care.
How Much Does Shaving Cost?
Disposable dual-blade razors were the first home shaving method and still exist today. But many people opt for the cheaper alternative of replaceable blade razors or hair trimmers. Reusable razors can cost as little as $10 and replacement blades a few cents each, making shaving affordable.
Pros of Shaving:
- Fast, effective, and affordable body hair removal at home
- Requires no professional skill or training.
Cons of Shaving:
- Requires frequent repetition
- Can leave skin sore, irritated, or damaged
- Risk of ingrown hairs.
#2: Laser Hair Removal
A medical procedure requiring anesthetic, laser hair removal is the destruction of hair follicles through extensively tested and safe laser hair removal technology using intense pulsed light. Laser hair removal reduces hair follicles beneath the skin by up to 90%, and they will not regrow.
How Long Does Laser Hair Removal Take?
Treatment takes less than an hour. At least five sessions in a year are recommended by experts at BYou Laser Clinic to ensure guaranteed satisfaction.
How Much Does Laser Hair Removal Cost?
Depending on the part of the body, laser hair removal in NYC starts at just $60. Packages for full, unlimited treatments throughout a 12 month period are available for the best value.
Pros of Laser Hair Removal
- Effective and permanent body hair removal anywhere on the body
- Quick sessions, reliable results, and satisfaction guaranteed
- No ingrown hairs, minimal side effects, and pain-free laser light.
Cons of Laser Hair Removal
- Can be expensive without money-saving bundles
- Requires specialist skill and understanding
- Can take up to 12 months for full effect.
This method removes unsightly body hair by plucking the formed hairs from the follicles with an instrument or tool, such as tweezers. Threading is becoming especially popular for brows, but there are more variations on this body hair removal technique.
How Long Does Plucking Take?
Plucking hairs is only recommended for small sections of body hair removal. Even a rapid method like threading brows, chin, or upper lip hair can take as long as an hour and can be difficult to achieve at home.
How Much Does Plucking Cost?
Invest in some good tweezers, and you’re set for life. If you want your brows, face or other small area plucked professionally, sessions are affordable at just $10-$20.
Pros of Plucking
- Can be done at home
- Requires no specialized skills or equipment.
Cons of Plucking
- Removing hairs individually is time consuming and painful
- Effects are not long-lasting, and treatments can add up fast.
Depilatory creams and foams remove unwanted body hair using chemicals, which exfoliate the skin and break down hair using chemical compounds. There’s a number of these on the market.
How Long Does Depilation Take?
Home sessions will depend on the brand of hair removal cream, but most Depilation solutions take 15 to 20 minutes before washing off. They’re safe to use on any external dermal surface and can cover wide areas at once.
How Much Does Depilation Cost?
Single treatment Depilatory creams can cost as little as $8-10 and, since they’re done at home, they have no additional costs or fees to be wary of.
Pros of Depilation
- Chemical depilatory creams thoroughly tested and safe to leave on skin
- Easy to find and fast to do at home
- No pain or irritation.
Cons of Depilation
- Effects are temporary and don’t last long
- Requires a skin test every use to avoid skin irritation, rashes, or damage.
Using hot wax has been a favored method of body hair removal for decades. Waxing strips and conveniently pre-prepared kits are popular and widespread, making waxing available for home hair removal as well as available in salons.
How Long Does Waxing Take?
Waxing is fast and efficient, taking only as long as the wax needs to set. This can be as little as 5 or 10 minutes, and there’s little aftercare once the strips are removed.
How Much Does Waxing Cost?
Home waxing kits are affordable and easy to use. You can also have waxing of any unwanted body hair done in a salon or wellness center. Prices vary, but common procedures like bikini waxing start at $30.
Pros of Waxing
- Quick and effective body hair removal method
- Can be done at home or at a salon for a reasonable price.
Cons of Waxing
- Waxing is notoriously painful and can damage skin
- Semi-permanent, as hair will always grow back.
Much like waxing, sugaring removes unwanted body hair by pulling them from the follicles. It is done with a natural solution formed from sugar, lemon, and hot water. While it’s considered a home remedy for body hair removal, professional salons sometimes offer sugaring as well.
How Long Does It Take?
Preparing the sugar and lemon solution is easy, and once cool enough, this sugaring paste spread on the hair and left to cool completely. This takes approximately 15 minutes, and once removed, is thrown away without hassle.
How Much Does Sugaring Cost?
Using basic ingredients, sugaring is a cheap and affordable way to manage body hair removal at home. Past made from home can cost as little as 50 cents per treatment, while a salon may ask for $50 to do a brazilian or bikini sugaring.
Pros of Sugaring
- Can be done at home with ingredients already in the cupboard
- Eco friendly, sustainable, biodegradable, and easy to dispose
- Requires no professional skills or equipment.
Cons of Sugaring
- Solution must be made from scratch and doesn’t keep
- Skin must be washed clean of lotions or creams, or the sugaring gel will slide off
- Temporary solution to body hair removal, as the hair will grow back.
This method delivers small electrical currents to the hair fibers and inactivates hair follicles, providing a permanent solution to unwanted or unsightly body hair. Home electronics exist, but better results can be achieved through professional-grade equipment and application.
How Long Does Electrolysis Take?
A session can last up to 45 minutes. Multiple sessions are recommended as body hair grows in patterns that would need to also be treated as time passes. Regular, shorter sessions of about 15 to 30 minutes are most likely to yield pleasing results.
How Much Does Electrolysis Cost?
Treatments are often charged by time increments, starting at around $50 for 15 minutes. Look for package deals, long-term plans, and other bundles to save money should you wish to use this method of body hair removal.
Pros of Electrolysis
- Professional electrolysis is permanent, quick, and effective
- Can be done at home with the right equipment, for lesser results
- Painless and minimal skin irritation, with no side effects.
Cons of Electrolysis
- Can be expensive to complete professional treatment plans
- Home electrolysis can often fall short of expectation.
#8: Medications and Unwanted Hair
Some medications can be used to slow or stop the growth of body hair in individuals, which can make managing unwanted body hair easier. Medications can affect your body in other ways too, so they should only be taken while under the guidance of a physician.
Spironolactone can also be used to slow the growth of body hair as it inhibits the action of this naturally occurring hormone. Slowing growth can make the need for body hair removal less intrusive on everyday life and keep unsightly small hairs from growing back at all.
Vaniqa, a pharmaceutical facial cream, is topically applied to reduce and prevent the regrowth of facial hair. This can make shaving in men far less intrusive on lifestyle and allow transitioning women to feel more comfortable with their identity.
Pros of Medicated Body Hair Removal
- Long-lasting, reliable effects on hair growth
- Reduced need for body hair removal.
Cons of Medicated Body Hair Removal
- The effect isn’t permanent if you stop taking it
- Expensive, limited availability, and often have unwanted side effects
- Vaniqa can only be safely used on the face.