“By the Sword” and “Upon Secrecy” Book Reviews & Giveaways
I love books that talk about our American history, particularly the Revolutionary War. I had the opportunity to review 2 wonderful books called By the Sword and Upon Secrecy. Both books were written by author Selene Castrovilla and were amazing stories. My heart pounded in a few parts of the book, as if I was right there in the story. The illustrations were wonderful, thanks to Jeff Crosby and Shelly Ann Jackson!
By the Sword is about a young teacher named Benjamin Tallmadge, who is in the midst of the Revolutionary War. He sacrifices his dreams and career to enlist in George Washington’s army. In the story, we follow Benjamin and his beloved horse, Highlander, into the combat at the Battle of Long Island. With bullets flying by him and people losing their lives around him, he feels the real effects of the Revolutionary War. Will he make it with his trusting horse by his side? Read it and find out!
Upon Secrecy takes place in July 1780. It’s been 4 years of war and France was joining the fight with George Washington’s troops. The French were sailing into Newport, Rhode Island with needed soldiers, supplies, and weapons. George Washington worried that they would make it in time and that the British wouldn’t find out and attack the French fleets. Washington needed answers quickly! He turned to the Culper Spy Ring, his most trusted source. For 2 years, the Culper Spy Ring provided Washington with accurate information, but how long would it take them to get the information to him. Follow the Culpers as they travel through British-occupied territory and try to make it in time to George Washington!
1 lucky reader on The Mommy-Files will win both By the Sword and Upon Secrecy!!!
– Why do you want to win this giveaway?
– Vote for The Mommy-Files on Top Mommy Blogs – 1 ENTRY
– Follow me on Twitter (themommyfiles) – 1 ENTRY
– Tweet about the giveaway – 1 ENTRY DAILY
– Follow me through Google Connect (new on the right side of the blog) – 1 ENTRY
– Subscribe to my blog – 1 ENTRY
– Add my Mommy-Files button to your blog and include the URL – 1 ENTRY
– Add my Holiday Gift Guide button to your blog – 1 ENTRY
– Comment on any Non-Giveaway post – 1 ENTRY per post comment (no limit)
– Blog about this giveaway and include the URL – 5 ENTRIES
– Contest will close at 11:59 p.m. PST on November 12th, 2009! Any entries after this time will be deleted!
– Contest open to U.S. residents only.
I received copies of the books “By the Sword” and “Upon Secrecy”for this post! All opinions expressed in this post are my own.