10 Tips for Shipping Holiday Packages + Giveaway!!!
Can you believe there are only 14 more days until Christmas? Yikes! The holidays can be a stressful time, especially when you’re trying to find gifts for your family and friends and then try to send them so they arrive in time for Christmas. While most people are focused on the gifts they want to purchase, many often overlook one important detail – safely shipping their gifts to the recipient. With this in mind, you can see how stressful the 22 shipping days between Thanksgiving and Christmas can become.
Everyone knows how much fun it is to receive a package on their doorsteps, right? How much more awesome would it be if that package included a personalized greeting just for you, specially made by the sender? I think it would be pretty cool! For the first time, The UPS Store is rolling out a mobile app that allows customers to “Deliver Holiday Happiness” to loved ones across the country with a customizable video message. Using the recently launched mobile app, senders can create a 15-second custom video to accompany their gift package, choosing one of three illustrated holiday scenes. The recipient can then view the special video upon receiving their package. Check out the video below to learn more about this awesome app!
Packing Tips from The UPS Store
At The UPS Store, you’ll find all the necessary packing materials, including cardboard boxes, tape and packing peanuts, inserts, and protective air cushions. For those who want to put together their own packages, here are some helpful tips for shipping holiday packages:
- Take batteries out of items before shipping.
- Use a sturdy new box to provide additional protection for your items. Do not use old boxes or gift boxes to ship gifts, or any string or wrapping paper on the outside of the package.
- Use at least two inches of packaging peanuts on each side of your item.
- Make sure the sender’s and recipient’s addresses are visible both inside and outside of the package.
- Use packing tape on all package seams – do not use masking, cellophane or duct tape.
- December 15-20 is expected to be the busiest shipping week, and Mondays are typically the busiest shipping days.
- For the last minute shoppers out there, December 23 is the last day to ship via UPS for Christmas Eve delivery.
What if you’re sending food as gift? Here are some helpful tips for shipping foods:
Shipping Baked Goods
- For packing and shipping baked goods, use the following items:
- corrugated box
- bubble wrap or packing peanuts
- packing tape
- permanent marker
- address label
- Packing Instructions
- Wrap items well with foil or plastic wrap
- Neatly stack items in the shipping box
- Choose UPS’ next-day shipping options for quickest delivery
Shipping Refrigerated and Frozen Foods
- For packing and shipping refrigerated and frozen foods, use:
- Insulated shipping container
- Styrofoam or newspaper
- Dry ice (check the guidelines for shipping with dry ice on ups.com)
- Packaging Instructions:
- Use gloves! Dry ice is so cold it can burn the skin.
- Wrap food in plastic before placing it in the container with the dry ice.
Additional Food Packing Tips
- Cakes: Fit snugly into a tin or container before packing
- Cookies: Place wax paper between the layers in the package
- Candies: Place in empty egg carton for an environmentally friendly option
- Oils and Vinegars: Make sure bottles are well sealed and wrapped in bubble wrap
About The UPS Store
With more than 4,400 locations across the United States, it’s likely there is a The UPS Store location nearby. Each location offers experts who can help pack and ship all types of holiday gifts, with a Pack and Ship Guarantee that gives customers peace of mind.
If your package, packed by The UPS Store center associates using new materials purchased by you and shipped via UPS on that center’s account, is damaged or lost in transit, you’ll be reimbursed for your packing and shipping costs (excluding declared value charges) and your item’s value (the lesser of the actual value, repair or replacement cost in accordance with the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service). At participating locations. Restrictions and limitations apply. For more information, visit The UPS Store online. Be sure to follow The UPS Store on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google+.
1 lucky winner will receive a $50 gift card!!!
What holiday gifts will you be shipping?