Buying a New Home? Keep Your Identity Safe with LifeLock
In my lifetime, I have moved several times. After becoming a LifeLock Ambassador, I learned so many things about keeping your identity safe, especially when it comes to buying a new home. Buying a new home by itself can be an overwhelming process and thinking about protecting your identity may be at the back of your mind, but it’s so important to do! Thanks to LifeLock, here are a few important tips for keeping your identity safe when buying a new home:
– TIP 1: You’ve moved into your new home. Should you know the dates your new bills regularly arrive on? If you know a certain bill arrives on the 15th of every month and one month it doesn’t, you’ll be able to call and know faster if your mail was intercepted.
– TIP 2: Is it safe to let your mail sit at work on your desk or in your car for a while before you sort it and put it away? If you are getting important documents with sensitive information on them, you should open your mail as soon as possible and put away these documents in a locked and secure place as soon as possible.
– TIP 3: When shopping online, are you safe to make a purchase if the website starts with https://? Make sure the website you’re shopping with is secure, starts with an https:// and has a small lock on the lower right hand corner of the screen. This means the site is secure for transactions.
– TIP 4: It’s time to move to your new home. What information should you refrain from sharing on your social media sites? Refrain from sharing (1) what day you are moving; (2) where your new home is; and (3) where your old home was. Try to keep your social media “moving” chatter to a minimum because this will be a dead giveaway to potential identity thieves. Wait until you’re all moved in and NEVER disclose your address on your social media page.
– TIP 5: You’re in between places and want to file your taxes. You should make sure not to do it on public Wi-Fi networks. When working on anything that involves sensitive information like banking or taxes, public Wi-Fi networks make you especially vulnerable to hackers who are looking to steal your information and your identity.
PLAY THE LIFELOCK FOR LIFE GAME THROUGH THE MARCH 3RD, 2013!!
Through March 3rd, 2013, you can play the LifeLock for Life Game on Facebook! Playing is simple. You just answer the multiple choice/true-false questions and enter to win! Each week you’ll have the opportunity to answer 10 questions, for a chance to win the week’s prize, and be entered into the Grand Prize Drawing. Don’t worry if you miss a question because you’ll have another chance to answer correctly. Have you entered yet?
This is a compensated post as part of the LifeLock Ambassador Program.
All opinions expressed in this post are 100% mine.