“The Year Without a Santa Claus” and “‘Twas the Night Before Christmas” Deluxe Edition DVD
On October 5, 2010, Warner Home Video released two fun holiday titles – The Year Without a Santa Claus and ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas on DVD and Blu-ray. The Year Without a Santa Claus will be offered on Blu-ray hi-def format for the first time and retails for $24.98 SRP. This is available in a Blu-ray + DVD Pack which includes a Blu-ray and DVD. Twas the Night Before Christmas is available in a brand new deluxe edition and retails for $19.97 SRP.
The Year Without a Santa Claus is the beloved 1974 Rankin/Bass stop motion animation television special that tells the story of the year Santa Claus (voiced by Mickey Rooney) decided to skip gift-giving and take a holiday, because he feels the children of the world have forgotten about him. Eager to help, Mrs. Claus (voiced by Shirley Booth) sends two spunky little elves, Jingle and Jangle, to search the world and find people who still believe in old St. Nick. She also enlists memorable characters, Heat Miser and his half brother Snow Miser, to help her bring Santa back to his good mood while she convinces them that Christmas is not just about presents. Jingle and Jangle in the meantime get themselves into quite a bit of trouble when their baby reindeer Vixen is mistaken for a dog and sent to the pound. Santa attempts to rescue Vixen and along the way learns that some people still believe in him. But it’s not until after he receives a letter from a little girl, who writes to him about having a Blue Christmas, that Santa jumps back into action and makes his traditional delivery run on Christmas Eve.
Bonus features include:
– Rudolph’s Shiny New Year – When the baby New Year named Happy goes missing, Father Time (voiced by Red Skelton) asks Rudolph to find him before midnight on New Year’s Eve.
– Nestor the Long-eared Christmas Donkey – Back in the days of the Roman Empire, a small donkey named Nestor who is teased mercilessly about his abnormally long ears, becomes a hero when he is chosen by Mary and Joseph to take them to Bethlehem where Mary gives birth to baby Jesus.
– We are Santa’s Elves – A documentary focusing on the legacy of Arthur Rankin Jr. and Jules Bass of Rankin/Bass Productions, Inc. the production company known for creating several, memorable seasonal television specials.
– School of Stop Motion – Presents the Chiodo Brothers, modern day masters of stop motion animation as they introduce viewers to their studio and also to their craft via a by-step demonstration aimed at young people.
In the newly re-mastered, deluxe edition of ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas, for some unexplained reason, letters to Santa Claus are being returned to the children of Junctionville. It seems some resident has angered St. Nick, calling Christmas “a fraudulent myth!” Skeptical Albert Mouse has to be brought to his senses “and let up a little on the wonder why.” How Albert is persuaded to change his tune paves the way for Santa’s jolly return to town – and the joyous finale of the animated fable inspired by Clement Moore’s poem and produced by the merrymaking conjurers of Rankin/Bass Studios. The voice talents of Joel Grey, Tammy Grimes, John McGiver and George Gobel make this festive fable even more fun.
DVD bonus feature includes:
– Christmas: A Global Holiday – An animated comic book that explores Yuletide traditions around the world.
“Adults who grew up with these timeless Rankin/Bass specials can now share them with younger generations. These classics are to be cherished and enjoyed, and we are delighted to bring them to consumers,” said Amit Desai, WHV Vice President of Family, Animation & Partner Brands Marketing. He added, “If you are a fan of Rankin/Bass animation, these are two titles you cannot miss having in your home entertainment collection.”
Other classic holiday animated titles available in stores now from WHV include Classic Christmas Favorites, How the Grinch Stole Christmas Deluxe Edition, A Miser Brothers’ Christmas, The Year Without a Santa Claus Deluxe Edition and Jack Frost Deluxe Edition.
It was fun watching these holiday DVDs with my boys. I remember some of the cartoons being on television when I was a kid and it brought back some amazing memories. I look forward to watching these titles again during the holiday season. Thanks to Warner Home Video for these amazing holiday titles!
I received product samples from Warner Home Video to facilitate this review. All opinions expressed in this post are 100% mine.