On October 8th, Walt Disney Pictures will be releasing “Secretariat” in theaters! It looks like a really good movie and I am really looking forward to seeing it in the theaters! Plus, I’ve heard really good things about it from some of my blogger friends who were able to get a sneak peek at the new movie.
Against all odds, housewife and mother Penny Chenery (Diane Lane)—with the help of veteran trainer Lucien Laurin (John Malkovich)—navigates the male-dominated horseracing business, ultimately taking Secretariat on a spectacular journey to become the first Triple Crown winner in 25 years and perhaps the greatest racehorse of all time.
Based on the remarkable true story, “Secretariat” chronicles the spectacular journey of the 1973 Triple Crown winner. Housewife and mother Penny Chenery (Diane Lane) agrees to take over her ailing father’s Virginia-based Meadow Stables, despite her lack of horse-racing knowledge. Against all odds, Chenery—with the help of veteran trainer Lucien Laurin (John Malkovich)—manages to navigate the male-dominated business, ultimately fostering the first Triple Crown winner in 25 years and what may be the greatest racehorse of all time.
– In 1973, Secretariat became the first U.S. Triple Crown champion in 25 years, setting race records that still stand today in the Kentucky Derby and the Belmont Stakes. Penny Chenery, now 87, is an integral resource in the making of the film. She also appears as an extra in one of the film’s scenes.
– In 1973, Secretariat graced the covers of three magazines the same week: Time, Newsweek and Sports Illustrated.
Director Randall Wallace, whose directorial credits include “We Were Soldiers,” is the Oscar®- and Golden Globe®-nominated screenwriter of “Braveheart.”
– In 1999, the U.S. Postal Service unveiled a 33-cent postage stamp with Secretariat’s image.
U.S. Release Date: October 8, 2010
Cast: Diane Lane, John Malkovich, Dylan Walsh, James Cromwell, Kevin Connolly, Nelsan Ellis, Dylan Baker, Margo Martindale, Otto Thorwarth, Fred Thompson, AJ Michalka and Scott Glenn
Director: Randall Wallace
Producers: Mark Ciardi & Gordon Gray
Executive Producers: William Johnson, Mike Rich
Written by: Mike Rich (writing credit not final)
Suggested by the book: “Secretariat: The Making of a Champion” by William Nack
1 lucky reader on The Mommy-Files will win a “Secretariat” prize pack including the following items:
WIN IT!!! (MANDATORY ENTRY)
– Tell me in a comment what you think about the preview!
– Vote for The Mommy-Files on Top Mommy Blogs (simply click on the button on the sidebar) – 1 ENTRY
– Follow The Mommy-Files on Twitter – 1 ENTRY
– Follow “Secretariat” on Twitter – 1 ENTRY
– Tweet about the giveaway – 1 ENTRY DAILY
– Become a Fan of The Mommy-Files on Facebook – 1 ENTRY
– Become a Fan of “Secretariat” on Facebook – 1 ENTRY
– Follow me through Google Connect (new on the right side of the blog) – 1 ENTRY
– Subscribe to my blog – 1 ENTRY
– Add my Mommy-Files button to your blog and include the URL – 1 ENTRY
– Comment on any Non-Giveaway post on The Mommy-Files – 1 ENTRY per post comment (no limit)
– Blog about this giveaway and include the URL – 5 ENTRIES
– Contest will close at 11:59 p.m. PST on Friday, October 8th, 2010! Any entries after this time will be deleted!
– Contest open to U.S. residents only.
I received no compensation for this post. Prizes are provided by Walt Disney Pictures. All opinions expressed in this post are 100% mine.