National Preparedness Month and $25 Giveaway #1
It’s National Preparedness Month during the month of October! I’m excited to team up with Clorox and the American Red Cross and bring some helpful tips as well as fun giveaways! We all know that disasters can happen quickly and when you’re least expecting them…whether it be an earthquake, flood, hurricane..you name it. The most important step to staying safe is to be prepared BEFORE an emergency occurs. What are the three critical steps to create an emergency preparedness plan for your household in case of an emergency?
1 – Purchase or build an emergency preparedness kit. Your kit should house enough supplies to last your household a minimum of three days (72 hours) for evacuations and 2 weeks for emergencies at home. There will be more specific tips to come on how to build a disaster kit with your family.
- Households should create or purchase an emergency preparedness kit with enough supplies for everyone to last three days for evacuations and two weeks for emergencies at home. Include things like: water, non-perishable food, flashlight, radio, first aid kit, a multi-purpose tool, important medications and copies of personal documents. You may also include household liquid bleach such as Clorox for cleaning and disinfecting and emergency water sanitation.
2 – Make an emergency preparedness plan. Schedule a meeting in your household to discuss what to do in case you are separated during an emergency. Choose two places to meet – one right outside the house and the other outside your neighborhood. Be sure to practice and review the plan twice a year!
3 – Get educated. Get to know the types of disasters (e.g. hurricanes, floods, or forest fires) prevalent in your area so that you can better tailor both your kit and plan. Find out how local officials will contact residents of your city to advise of important safety information. AND, get first aid training. Learn critical techniques like CPR and how to use an Automated External Defibrillator (AED).
For more information, please visit www.clorox.com/redcross and download the preparedness guide: Prepare Yourself Now for Peace of Mind Later.
1 lucky reader on The Mommy-Files will a $25 gift card!!!
You also have 4 more chances to win a $25 gift card by checking out the giveaways at the following blogs:
– Vote for The Mommy-Files on Top Mommy Blogs (simply click on the button on the sidebar) – 1 ENTRY
– Follow The Mommy-Files on Twitter – 1 ENTRY
– Tweet about the giveaway – 1 ENTRY DAILY
– Become a Fan of The Mommy-Files on Facebook – 1 ENTRY
– Follow me through Google Connect (new on the right side of the blog) – 1 ENTRY
– Subscribe to my blog – 1 ENTRY
– Add my Mommy-Files button to your blog and include the URL – 1 ENTRY
– Comment on any Non-Giveaway post on The Mommy-Files – 1 ENTRY per post comment (no limit)
– Blog about this giveaway and include the URL – 5 ENTRIES
– Contest will close at 11:59 p.m. PST on Sunday, September 19th, 2010! Any entries after this time will be deleted!
– Contest open to U.S. residents only.
As a blog tour participant, I received information and giveaways from The Clorox Company and Consumer Queen at no cost to me. I was compensated for my time by The Clorox Company for participating in this project. All views are 100% my own.