REVIEW & GIVEAWAY – Cheerios Spoonfuls of Stories
Most of us are familiar with the yummy cereal from Cheerios. However, did you know that over the past seven years, Cheerios has takes an active role in helping to promote reading for children and their parents? Cheerios Spoonfuls of Stories has given away more than 35 million children’s books by including them in boxes and cereals. Cheerios Spoonfuls of Stories has also donated nearly $3 million to First Book, their non-profit partner, providing books to children from low-income families.
In it’s third year, Cheerios Spoonfuls of Stories is once again hosting it’s New Author Contest – encouraging previously unpublished, up-and-coming children’s book authors to submit their stories! Cheerios is looking for anyone who has an interest in writing children’s books. Entries for the New Author Contest are being accepted from March 16th through July 15th, 2009. Entrants will be judged on appropriate story and content for children ages 3-8, emotional connection, writing quality, uniqueness, and read-aloud potential. If you or someone you know is interested, feel free to visit www.spoonfulsofstoriescontest.com.
The first year’s winner of the New Author Contest was Shellie Braeuner, who won a $5,000 cash prize for her book “The Great Dog Wash.” She also won the opportunity to have Simon and Schuster Children’s Publishing review her book. They liked it and offered her a book deal. The book, which will be illustrated by Robert Neubecker, will be released in hardcover this summer and Cheerios will be featuring the book in 1.5 million boxes of Cheerios this spring (available in both English and Spanish).
The winner of the second year’s contest was Lori Degman, who wrote “1 Zany Zoo.” She won a $5,000 cash prize and the opportunity to have her book reviewed by Simon & Shuster Children’s Publishing. They also offered her a book deal and her book will be released in 2010 (initially in paperback in Cheerios boxes of cereals and later in hardback).
Cheerios named two runners-up in the contest – Tameka Fryer Brown for her story “I’m Not Eating That!” and Joan Stradling for her story “Who Invites a Pig to Dinner?” Both Brown and Stradling will receive a $1000 cash prize from Cheerios.
Thanks to My Blog Spark, I had the opportunity to review a Cheerios Spoonfuls of Stories Gift Set, which included a copy of “The Great Dog Wash”, as well as “Duck for President,” “When Dinosaurs Came with Everything,” and “Monkey and Me.” My kids were excited to see the books and read through them. Their favorites were “The Great Dog Wash” and “When Dinosaurs Came with Everything.” The stories were fun, imaginative, and colorful! What a great way to bond with your children – through reading stories!
One lucky reader will win a Cheerios Spoonfuls of Stories Gift Set, filled with 4 adorable children’s books.
– What is one of your favorite books to read with your child?
– Follow my blog (or tell me you already follow) – 1 entry
– Subscribe to my blog (or tell me you already subscribe) – 1 entry
– Add my button (or tell me you already have it) – 1 entry
– Favorite me on Technorati – 1 entry
– Follow me on Twitter (themommyfiles) and “tweet” about the giveaway – 2 entries
– Blog about the giveaway and leave me a link – 2 entries
– Tell me in a comment how often you read with your children – 1 entry
– Giveaway ends at 11:59 p.m. PST on Tuesday, May 5th, 2009 and the winner will be announced on this blog on Thursday, May 7th (as well as emailed).
– Please leave your email address in your comment so I can contact you if you win the giveaway.
– Winners must respond by Saturday, May 9th or another winner will be chosen.
– Open to US residents.