How to Apply & Remove Clip-In Hair Extensions without Damaging Your Hair
Today, on Redhead Mom, I’m sharing a partnered guest post about
How to Apply and Remove Clip-In Hair Extensions without Damaging Your Hair.
Clip-in hair extensions will add instant length, volume, and thickness to your hair, but applying and removing the wefts can be tricky the first time. Carelessness during the installation and removal process can pull your natural hair, resulting in damage. For this reason, it is essential to know how to clip in and remove the wefts without damaging your natural hair.
How to Apply Clip-In Hair Extensions
Clip-in human hair extensions are by far the most popular extensions because they require the least commitment that we see with other extension types, such as tape-ins. With a little effort, you can put them in and take them out whenever you want. But there are certain steps you have to follow to use your extensions without causing harm to your own hair.
Below are the steps to apply these wefts without damaging your hair. We’re using 5-piece ZALA Remy clip-in hair extensions as an example to help you understand these steps.
- Comb or brush your hair to remove any tangles.
- Take a portion of your hair near the top of your ear and clip it away.
- Starting with the 2-clip weft, snap open the clips, hook the weft onto your hair, and close the clips.
- Open the portion of clipped hair and make a new portion around 2 centimeters above the area where you applied the 2-clip weft. Clip this hair segment out of the way.
- Take the 3-clip piece, pop open the clips, and put it in your hair. Now, press in the center clip, followed by the side clips.
- Open the segmented hair and create a hair portion 2 centimeters above the previous row. Clip this section out of the way.
- Take the 5-clip piece, pop open the clips, and hook it onto your hair. Press in the center clip and then the remaining ones.
- Unclip the segmented hair and create a new section on the right side of your head at your ear level. Clip the section out of the way and put in the single clip piece. Be sure not to apply the extension very close to your front hairline.
- Repeat step 8 on the left side, and you’re done applying clip-in extensions without damaging your hair!
Watch – How to Apply 5-Piece Hair Extensions
How to Remove Clip-In Hair Extensions
Most women choose clip-in extensions because they are easy to apply, but remember that removing them carelessly can damage your natural hair.
Here’re some tips to remove your clip-in hair extensions without damaging your hair:
- Use a large-toothed comb or brush to remove any tangles from the hair and make them smooth. If needed, use a detangling product or a mist of water.
- Separate your hair from the wefts, starting from the top.
- Carefully separate the areas where the extensions are clipped to your hair.
- Take the weft in your hand, pop open the clips, and carefully lift and slide the hooks out of the hair.
Remove each piece of extension by following these steps. While uninstalling the extensions, be sure to push your thumbs down and exert a gentle pressure in the outer direction with your index fingers.
Avoid applying force or pulling the wefts roughly because doing so can break your natural hair. Removing clip-in wefts carelessly can even harm your hair follicles in the long-run.
After removing the wefts, inspect each one of them to make sure there are no knots. Now use a brush or comb to remove any tangles and smooth the hair. If there are no tangles, you can run your fingers across the hair to smooth it out.
If you used water spray during the removal process and the hair seems damp, make sure to air-dry the wefts before storing them. Once dried, keep the extensions in a cool, dry place, ideally in a box or case.
To prevent damage to your hair and scalp, be sure to always buy lightweight extensions because heavy extensions can expose your hair to long-term damage, especially if your hair is on the thin or fine side. Also, avoid purchasing low-quality extensions, as they can do more harm than good to your hair.
While clip-in hair extensions will quickly enhance your look, it’s essential to follow the standard application and removal processes to prevent possible damage to your natural hair. By following the steps explained above, you can rest assured that your hair will be safe, and you’ll look beautiful every time you wear your clip-in human hair extensions.