Enjoy Time in the Water, Even with a Cast

By Shannon Gurnee
In Body
June 7, 2019

Our blog post today about this waterproof cast cover is written in partnership with DryPro Corp.

Girl swimming under water in pool with waterproof cast cover

Have you ever had a broken bone and had to wear a cast? My understanding was that if you had a cast for a broken bone, you could not go swimming, take a shower or take a bath without some sort of protection over the cast. The only way I knew to protect a cast was with duct tape and trash bags. Now there is a better and more effective way to enjoy the water and protect your cast at the same time! DryPro has manufactured a patented vacuum sealed waterproof cast cover for people with a broken arm or leg! It’s pretty cool because this high-quality surgical rubber sleeve fits over casts, bandages, Ostomies, PICC lines and prosthetics, offering complete waterproof protection. The patented vacuum seal assures that a cast or bandage will remain dry, even when submerged in water.

DryPro Waterproof Cast

Beginning in 1999, Dr. Roy Archambault, DPM, ABFS, began distributing the DryPro after more than 20 years of experience in podiatric and ambulatory medicine. Dr. Archambault designed and constructed the DryPro™ with an expert understanding of patient needs. The DryPro™ enables patients to swim, bathe, shower, and to receive hydrotherapy. During any water activity, it protects the respective body part.

Cast Covers Available:

• Half Arm (typically worn to elbow)
  • Full Arm (typically worn to shoulder)
  • Half Leg (typically worn to the knee)
  • Full Leg (typically worn to the thigh)

Boy with DryPro Cast Cover at beach

Made of thick surgical rubber, the DryPro™ can stretch up to 600 percent without tearing. Isn’t that crazy cool??!! This durable product offers comfort and flexibility and features a Non-Skid Grid on the sole to prevent slipping. Other limb cover products do not offer the same waterproof guarantee as the DryPro™. The reliable vacuum seal and Non-Skid Grid makes the DryPro™ the safest and most effective product.

DryPro Waterproof Cast

The DryPro™ is available in a variety of sizes designed to fit the youngest child to grown adults! Repeated leak-proof testing proves the reliability of the DryPro™ as the only truly waterproof protector. When applying the DryPro™, the included pump flattens to indicate an intact seal that will not leak. The DryPro™ not only offers cast protection, but also allows prosthetic wearers an alternative to removing prosthetics during water activities. For people with PICC lines and Ostomies, the DryPro™ is super easy to use as compared to dealing with duct tape and trash bags. Plus, it can be used for post-operative physical therapy, allowing hydrotherapy right after surgery. It’s great because it’s not only waterproof protection, but it also helps prevent swelling and stiffness, thus expediting the healing process. This is a major reason why athletes like to use the DryPro™ after an injury.

DryPro™ will save your summer as your kids can still enjoy the pool or the beach even with a broken bone. Get yours today!

What do you like about the DryPro™ cast cover?

Shannon Gurnee is the author of Redhead Mom formerly "The Mommy-Files", a national blog with a loyal following. She has a Bachelor's Degree in Marriage, Family, and Human Development with a Minor in Business Management. Shannon and her husband, Frank, have a large family with 6 awesome kids and love living on the Central Coast near San Luis Obispo, California, as well as traveling around the world. A full-time Social Media and Professional Blogger, Shannon also serves as a National Brand Ambassador for many well-known companies. Her blog focuses on motherhood, family fun activities, traveling, fashion, beauty, technology, wedding ideas and recipes while providing professional opinions on products, performances, restaurants, and a variety of businesses.

50 Responses to “Enjoy Time in the Water, Even with a Cast”

1. So even those with plaster or a bandage can finally enjoy the water!

2. Krisy says:

This is really helpful! I have a cousin who got injured and is wearing a cast. And he loves swimming as well. Will definitely recommend this!

3. DryPro™ seems like a good product for kids. I would ask my niece to try it soon.

4. Stacie says:

That is so great! I love this because not only can it be used for swimming and fun, it’s perfect for showers, too. Taking a shower with a cast is usually SO HARD.

5. Wow….this is a first for me! I didn’t even imagine that this was possible. Thank you truly for sharing.

6. Oh, this is fantastic! Definitely a must have for anyone who enjoys some water fun and needs it for just bathing. I have been fortunate enough to have never broken a bone but will keep this in mind for my children. Thank you!

7. Thanks for sharing about this useful arm protector. It will be useful for parents with kids.

8. Now where was that when I was growing up? Now kids that have broken an arm can still enjoy swimming in the summer or on a vacation. This is such a neat invention!

9. GiGi Eats says:

What an awesome option for kids who have broken themselves!!! Love this idea! A huge step above a trash bag, LOL!

10. Lisa says:

What a clever idea! I’ll definitely bear this in mind if I, or someone, ever needs it!

11. Garf says:

This is a great product. People who wear cast can still enjoy the water.

12. I had no idea you could get things like this for if you had a cast! Perfect for having over summer so you can be part of all the fun!

13. Kristine Nicole Alessandra says:

I wish that was available when I was 14 years old. I broke both my forearm bones and had to wear a cast for 10 weeks. Bathing was a challenge! I love this new dry pro protective water proof cover. It would make it easier for people to bathe and even go swimming!

14. This is awesome! Especially in the summer when kids want to swim all the time but if they’re injured they feel like they can’t. This is great!

15. Suzanne says:

This is so great! I think it’ll help with kids especially and they won’t have to miss out on the fun!

16. Tiffany La Forge-Grau says:

That is a really cool thing to have around. No swimming is a bummer for everyone!

17. Jeannette says:

This is a brilliant idea. Years ago when my brother broke his leg he was not able to swim all summer. It was devastating for him. This is a great invention!

18. How wonderful that you can now go swimming if you are wearing a cast. Well done to the brand for noticing there was a gap in the market and doing something about it

19. Ashley says:

This would’ve been great for my daughter a few years ago. Having a cast in the summer sucks!

20. Catherine says:

This is great! I never knew there were swimming caps for casts…I’m sure a lot of people will appreciate this this summer!

21. This is absolutely wonderful. I love this idea so that people with casts dont have to miss out on the summer fun.

22. An informative piece & I have enjoyed my read here. A useful product for kids, thanks!
    Cheers, siennylovesdrawing

23. Melanie says:

We had several patients who would use these in the orthopedic clinic. It helped with kids especially.

24. Gervin Khan says:

My daughter broke her right wrist more that a week ago and she is really having a hard time in taking a bath. We always use a trash bag to make sure that her cast stays dry even after she’s taking her shower. I will definitely buy this product for her to make her life so easy. Thanks for sharing this info.

25. Alexandra Cook says:

Wha a great product. Everyone can enjoy swimming now using this. Pretty sure this will be a huge hit.

26. Lavern Moore says:

I have never had a broken bone or a case so the thought of a swim cover seems interesting. I’m sure avid swimmers will benefit from reading this.

27. Ricci says:

Now this is a GREAT idea for kiddos who break a bone during the summer months. Because how AWFUL would it be to not be able to swim all summer?!!

28. Edye says:

What a nice product idea! Good for summertime 🙂

29. Heather says:

Wow, I didn’t even know that this existed. Thank you so much for sharing!!! This is so helpful!

30. Ash says:

I didn’t even know that existed!! What a great product! Hopefully my son won’t have to use one this summer, *knock on wood* LOL, but it’s great that this product exists so kids can still enjoy summer pool time.

31. Catalina says:

What a beautiful idea! Especially for kids during the summer season!

32. This is awesome so those with casts can still enjoy the water. This is perfect timing with spring & summer right here!!

33. This is such a great idea! We’re going to try and find a DryPro online! Might be something to bear in mind if I have any accidents!

34. Rika says:

I haven’t never heard of this product before! But I really love the concept! Sounds like a great product!

35. Ruth I says:

Woah. what a genius idea! This will surely help some to have fun in the water even with an injury

36. Tasheena says:

This sounds like an amazing product. First time learning about it, love the concept!!

37. Kasey says:

A friend of mine was just trying to figure how they could protect their child’s cast this summer I will need to show them this.

38. Swathi says:

Yes kids love to be in water. This will nice product to those who wear cast. They can also enjoy swimming.

39. It seems like a wonderful way to ignore what has already happened and face life head on.Thanks for sharing.

40. Donna says:

This is so cool! Taking a bath with a cast on can be so difficult. This would help a lot!

41. Marysa says:

That’s an awesome product! My kids are on a swim team, and it’s awful when someone is injured and can’t practice or enjoy time in the water. This is a lifesaver for so many kids!

42. Lynndee says:

That is so cool! My son broke his elbow before and had to wear a cast. He could have used one of those cast covers that time.

43. Jackline A says:

Such a great post. My friend has an arm cast and with the summer coming up this would be super useful. Going to share it.

44. Arya says:

This is huge! I had a broken arm when I was a kid and had to stay away from the beach and pool. Thank you for sharing.

45. Beth says:

I broke my arm a few years ago. Luckily, my husband was available to wrap my arm up in a plastic bag, but I wouldn’t have been able to do it one-handed. Unfortunately, my mom just broke her leg today. She has an appointment with the surgeon tomorrow, and we’ll know if she’s going to stay in her boot or get a cast. At least if she needs a cast, I know what to get to help her keep it dry!

46. Elizabeth O says:

What a great concept and a cool idea. I had a cast on my leg as a child and couldn’t get it wet. I wore it for at least 1-2 months

47. Tamra Phelps says:

I had never heard of this. I have to admit, this is genius. I can see how handy this would be.

48. Amy D says:

This is amazing! I need to share this with my father-in-law who currently has a broken wrist.

49. Lebogang Xolo says:

Quite an innovative product. I absolutely it. Now breaking your hand won’t be so depressing after all.

50. Betsy Barnes says:

Growing up, a lot of my friend’s summers were ruined, this is a great product!