Celebrity Rescue Pugs Return the Favor by Fostering Kittens

By Shannon Gurnee
In Pets
March 27, 2019

Today, on Redhead Mom, we’re talking about Celebrity Pugs Who Return the Favor by Fostering Kittens
in this sponsored guest post with Maddie’s Fund®.

two pugs and a kitten

Have you heard of Maddie’s Fund® before? Maddie’s Fund® is a national family foundation established by Dave and Cheryl Duffield to revolutionize the status and well-being of companion animals. Maddie’s Fund® has created a special PSA to encourage kitten fostering ahead of the hectic kitten season at animal shelters. It’s so precious! As an animal lover myself, I love to read and share about things like this.

Hamilton Pug and his brother Rufus have fostered several kittens and cats this past year in their New York City apartment, which they lovingly refer to as the #pugbnb. By providing a safe and warm environment, Hamilton and Rufus get these tiny felines ready for adoption by socializing them to the activity of everyday life in a home with humans, and possibly other animals.

Pug and kitten

“Kitten season is stressful for even the most experienced animal shelters, and foster homes help to relieve the pressure that is put on animal shelters each spring and summer,” said Kelly Duer, Foster Care Specialist at Maddie’s Fund®. “Fostering not only helps the individual animal, but frees up space in the shelter, allowing organizations to save even more lives.”

I honestly hadn’t heard much about kitten fostering before, so this really fascinated me. The adventures in kitten fostering have been well documented on social media and demonstrate how fun and rewarding fostering can be, so the PSA was a natural extension. This short video can be used by animal shelters to help promote their individual foster care programs, as well as to encourage the general public to seek out fostering opportunities in their local area.

“We think fostering is a job for just about anyone,” says Mary Ippoliti-Smith, Executive Leadership Team at Maddie’s Fund®. “Foster care is the gold standard in lifesaving, and foster caregivers are VIPS of our movement. There are many types of foster programs to choose from. So whether you prefer kittens or puppies, live in a studio apartment or a large home, have a few days or a few months, there is a foster program that’s right for you.”

Watch this PSA, then contact your local shelter or rescue organization to get started.

About Maddie’s Fund

Maddie’s Fund® is a family foundation created in 1994 by Workday® co-founder Dave Duffield and his wife, Cheryl, who have endowed the Foundation with more than $300 million. Since then, the Foundation has awarded more than $225.7 million in grants toward increased community lifesaving, shelter medicine education, and pet adoptions across the U.S. The Duffields named Maddie’s Fund® after their Miniature Schnauzer Maddie, who always made them laugh and gave them much joy. Maddie was with Dave and Cheryl from 1987 – 1997 and continues to inspire them today.

Had you heard about Maddie’s Fund® before?
What do you think about this program?

Shannon Gurnee is the author of Redhead Mom formerly "The Mommy-Files", a national blog with a loyal following. She has a Bachelor's Degree in Marriage, Family, and Human Development with a Minor in Business Management. Shannon and her husband, Frank, have a large family with 6 awesome kids and love living on the Central Coast near San Luis Obispo, California, as well as traveling around the world. A full-time Social Media and Professional Blogger, Shannon also serves as a National Brand Ambassador for many well-known companies. Her blog focuses on motherhood, family fun activities, traveling, fashion, beauty, technology, wedding ideas and recipes while providing professional opinions on products, performances, restaurants, and a variety of businesses.

24 Responses to “Celebrity Rescue Pugs Return the Favor by Fostering Kittens”

1. Lissa Crane says:

I am so glad you shared this! This is such a beautiful way to spread the word about fostering animals!

2. Raluca says:

This was a very interesting read, especially for an animal lover like myself 😉 Thanks for sharing this!

3. i’ve never heard of this before, but what a great idea! Pugs are just sooooo cute!

4. These are great news for animals and animals lovers. I love the video you share, looking at these animals really warm my heart.

5. What a lovely way to get the word out. Maddie’s Fund sure sound like a great foundation.

6. Maddie’s Fund sounds like a great foundation and they’re making a huge difference in animals lives. Thank you for sharing and getting the word out about fostering pets.

7. awww this is so adroable. Love that they are helping other furbabies out. Love this!

8. Danielle says:

Maddie’s Fund sounds so amazing and I love anything that supports our animal friends! Thank you for sharing this!

9. Heather says:

OMG this is the cutest ever! I love when dogs and cats get along.

10. jill nunn says:

awwww I’m not crying, you are crying! Cutest story ever!

11. Meredith says:

Wow I had never even considered fostering animals before! Thanks for sharing this idea! Such a good message.

12. Lyosha says:

Each fund to help animal is huge in my eyes. That is such a great cause to help. I love animals and I think each animal should be happy

13. Alexandra Cook says:

Oh wow, Those were really cute. Love that you help them. I am a supporter of animal welfare here in our community.

14. eli says:

Aww this is such a heartwarming story. It’s always nice to hear a bit of positive news now and then. Especially when its about animals!

15. Thanks for sharing about this animal shelter. Look a good recommendation for pet owners.

16. Jess says:

This is so great that you shared it! Very heartwarming! Those pups are adorable!

17. I haven’t heard of Maddie’s Fund foundation but it seems they are doing fabulous job of fostering kittens ☺ That’s really wonderful!

18. Indu says:

Interesting read with great info. I did not have any knowledge of all this earlier.

19. Chastity says:

Great organization!! I am a animal lover and I would love to save all the furry animals in the world. It’s so important we help these innocent animals.

20. Jessica May says:

This is so wonderful. I love causes that get involved for the good of animals. There is always more we can do as humans!

21. Chelle Dizon says:

I always admire people who adopt pets from shelters. This is really a heartwarming story. We have 2 stray cats that we adopted and they are so adorable.

22. Michele Pineda says:

I have never heard of this before! Love those cute animal photos!

23. Sandy Klocinski says:

Thanks for sharing! Those pugs are just so awesome! Love it!

24. Laurie Nykaza says:

It sounds like a wonderful rescue that I didn’t know about. So happy to see them getting the kittens use to the pups they look happy.