The Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge Makes Summer Reading Fun for Kids!
It’s officially the summertime and the kids are out of school. All 3 boys got excellent report cards and on each of them, the teachers talked about their reading skills. The teachers also suggested that the boys continue to read during the summer to maintain their current reading levels. When I learned about the Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge, I jumped on the opportunity to sign our 6 kids up! It’s a fun way to keep our kids reading through the summer!
Now in it’s 8th year, the Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge is dedicated to stopping the “Summer Slide” and getting kids to read throughout the summer months when school is out. The Summer Reading Challenge gives kids the opportunity to log their reading minutes (online and on smartphones) as they Read for the World Record, enter sweepstakes to win fabulous prizes, and earn digital rewards when they complete weekly reading challenges.
This year’s Summer Reading Challenge theme is “Reading Under the Stars” (powered by EVEREADY®). Throughout the summer, kids will read around the galaxy and unlock star constellations as they log reading minutes. Did you know that in 2013, Scholastic inspired more than 130,000 kids from 4,200 schools in all 50 states and 31 countries to set a new record for summer reading of 176 million-plus minutes? Pretty awesome, right??
FREE SUMMER READING TOOLS FOR PARENTS
– Online Summer Reading Program for Kids: Parents can register their children (grades K-8 / ages 4-14) for the Summer Reading Challenge from now until September 5th. Kids can log their minutes, win prizes and help set a new world record for summer reading. Last year’s summer reading world record of 176,438,47.
– #MondayMinutes on Twitter: Every Monday, check Scholastic on Twitter for the #MondayMinutes. See the total number of minutes kids have read to date!
– Daily Tips and Prizes Every Friday: Every Friday, follow the Scholastic Facebook Calendar for Friday Freebies!
– List of Summer Books: Every Friday, check out the Summer Reading Challenge Pinterest Board for a new collage of summer books.
– Facebook Chat: Tune in to Facebook on June 21st for the Summer Solstice Facebook Chat for Parents.
– Chat Live with Moms on Google+: Join Teach Mama and No Time for Flashcards bloggers for a chat about ways to keep kids reading all summer on Thursday, June 19th at 9:00 PM ET.
– 2014 Summer Booklists: Curated by Scholastic experts, these lists feature more than 700 books for children in Pre-K-8, including this year’s “Reading Under the Stars” – themed list, which showcases books about space, stars and astronomy, as well as spooky stories to read by a campfire.
– FREE Book Offer: Parents can receive a FREE Scholastic book by mail when they buy two specially marked packs of EVEREADY® Gold® batteries or EVEREADY® flashlights and redeem the package codes online.
DOWNLOAD THE SUMMER READING TIMER APP
The Scholastic Reading Timer App encourages reading every day and most importantly, makes it fun! The app allows users to time reading minutes with an interactive stopwatch and track minutes on a weekly log. Plus, parents can check children’s reading activity in addition to browsing daily tips, articles and book lists.
Be sure to check out the Scholastic Summer Reading Program and Join Today!
Who in your family would join the Scholastic Summer Reading Program?
What was your favorite story to read during the summertime growing up?
This is a sponsored post as part of the Scholastic Summer Reading Program. All opinions are mine.