September 19th – It Can Wait Drive 4 Pledges Day!
Today was an awesome and inspirational day! After a summer long ambassadorship with AT&T and the It Can Wait Campaign, I had the opportunity to host an amazing luncheon with friends. Many of them had only heard of the It Can Wait Campaign via posts on The Mommy-Files and were VERY excited about spreading the word to NOT TEXT AND DRIVE!
Today (September 19th), It Can Wait cell phone carriers and advocates (like me) teamed up to take the movement to the next level. This nationwide day of action gave us the opportunity to help encourage every driver to make a commitment not to text and drive – and recruit others to do the same. Social media become an integral part of the success of It Can Wait. Tools like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram allow us to reach more people, engage new audiences and encourage more people to take the pledge.
Here are a few interesting facts about the It Can Wait program:
– More than 100,000 texting-related accidents every year result in injuries or deaths
– Texting and driving makes you 23 times more likely to be in an accident
– 90% of teens say they’d stop texting and driving if a friend in the car simply asked them
– 43% of teens admit to texting and driving
– 49% of adult commuters admit to texting and driving
– 77% of teens say that adults tell them not to text and drive, but do it themselves “all the time”
AT&T created It Can Wait, a national movement to end texting and driving, and it’s making a difference. Be sure to head over and take the pledge today!