Johnsonville Fire House Chili Love on Valentine’s Day
This Valentine’s Day was a little different than most. For starters, Frank and I got to spend it with the boys and some of our close friends. What was different that the day started off with me preparing a batch of the Johnsonville® Fire House Chili. Let me tell ya – it was HOT!!!
FIRE HOUSE CHILI
– 1 pound JOHNSONVILLE® Mild Italian Sausage
– 1 pound ground beef
– 1 medium onion, chopped
– 5 celery ribs, chopped
– 4 garlic cloves, minced
– 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
– 3 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes with green chiles
– 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
– 1 can (14.5 ounces) beef broth
– 2 cans (6 ounces) tomato paste
– 3 tablespoons brown sugar
– 2 tablespoons chili powder
– 2 teaspoons cumin
– 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
– Brown the ground beef and ground sausage in a pot. If you cannot find the ground sausage, use the sausage links and remove the sausage from the casing. Once sausage and ground beef are cooked, drain oil.
– Add chopped onions, celery, garlic, and bell pepper. Cook for 5 minutes or until veggies are tender.
– Stir in the canned tomatoes, kidney beans, beef broth, tomato paste, brown sugar, chili powder, cumin and red pepper flakes. Bring the chili to a boil.
– Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
– Remove from heat. Sprinkle with cheese or add sour cream and tortilla chips as a topping.
SHARING THE LOVE ON VALENTINE’S DAY WITH OUR LOCAL FIREHOUSE
I was very excited to share the love with a pot of homemade chili on Valentine’s Day with the firemen who were away from their families. They were very appreciative of the homemade gift, but we didn’t have long to talk because they were paged on an emergency call within 5 minutes of my friend and I arriving to the firehouse. At least I know they would be returning to a hot chili meal when they got back! A big thanks goes out to Johnsonville Sausage for making this opportunity possible!
This is a sponsored opportunity as part of the Johnsonville Delicious Dish Blogger Panel.
All opinions expressed in this post are 100% mine.
Leave a Reply