Celebrate National Children’s Dental Health Month with the Oral Care Challenge
What is the first thing you notice on people? For me, the first thing I notice is the person’s smile. With that being the case, I myself am very dedicated to keeping my boys’ smiles and my smile healthy! Thanks to Listerine, Johnson & Johnson, Walmart, and The Motherhood, I have the opportunity to participate in an Oral Care Challenge with my family. Plus, February is National Children’s Dental Health Month, so it’s the perfect time to get your family involved in your own Oral Care Challenge.
On February 16th, several bloggers had the opportunity to participate in a “Challenge Kick-Off” Live-Chat with Dr. John Dodes and Dr. Kanete Lott. There was so much great information shared and I walked away with more knowledge about dental care and my children than I have ever had! For instance, did you know that brushing alone misses 75% of your mouth? Wow! I didn’t know that! Did you know that nearly 75 percent of American adults suffer from various forms of periodontal (gum) disease and don’t know it? Did you know that according to a survey conductors of LISTERINE and REACH, over one-third of Americans don’t eat their favorite foods or smile in photos because of dental problems like cavities, tooth pain, and gingivitis?
LISTERINE and REACH have designed products to help improve oral care. The REACH TOTAL CARE Multi-action toothbrush has multi-directional bristles that thoroughly clean teeth from all directions, removing up to 90 percent of plaque! REACH TOTAL CARE Floss is designed for superior plaque removal an teeth whitening. Adding a 30-second rinse with LISTERINE Antiseptic to your morning and nighttime routines, along with your usual brushing, has been proven in a clinical study to help reduce up to 70 percent more plaque and 36 percent more gingivitis than brushing and flossing alone.
TIPS FROM DR. JOHN DODES, DDS (GENERAL DENTIST)
– Clean the entire mouth.
– Make sure you are brushing and flossing correctly.
– Avoid sticky foods.
– Go to the dentist twice a year.
TIPS FOR YOUR KIDS FROM DR. KANETA LOTT, DDS (PEDIATRIC DENTIST)
– Make oral care fun (e.g., make it a game; brush, floss, and rinse to music)
– Reward their behavior (e.g., give gold stars for good oral care)
– Show, don’t tell – make oral care a family affair
– Involve them in their own oral care routine by providing products like LISTERINE Smart Rinse, which can make the daily routine more fun, provides 12-hour cavity protection for kids and strengthens teeth 99 percent better than brushing alone.
OVERCOMING COMMON BARRIERS TO ORAL CARE
– TIME. Oral care has advanced so much that it takes just minutes a day to improve your oral care routine and establish a healthy habit that will benefit you for a lifetime.
– AFFORDABILITY. The sooner you improve your oral care, the more money you will save. According to a 2010 report from the Pew Center on the States, total annual spending for dental care is expected to increase 58 percent, from $101.9 billion to $161.4 billion through 2018. Fortunately, Walmart offers LISTERINE and REACH products at affordable prices!
IT IS IMPORTANT TO INSTILL HEALTHY HABITS WITH YOUR CHILD EARLY ON, ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COMES TO ORAL CARE.
– Tooth decay is the most common chronic disease affecting children in the U.S.
– In fact, 50 percent of children will have a cavity or filling between the ages of 5 and 9.
– The surgeon general reports that 51 million school hours are missed each year because of dental-related illness.
Now, on to our family’s own Oral Care Challenge! Start your own Oral Care Challenge during February, remembering it’s National Children’s Dental Health Month. Good luck everyone! Keep those smiles bright and healthy.