“Dr. Seuss’s Holidays on the Loose” DVD Review
The holiday season is here and Dr. Seuss is on the loose! On October 18th, 2011, Warner Home Video released Dr. Seuss’s Holidays on the Loose! on DVD, a collection of iconic Dr. Seuss animated classics. The Grinch, the Cat in the Hat and many other legendary literary characters come to life on Dr. Seuss’s Holidays on the Loose! The set will feature three Dr. Seuss specials plus bonus features and retails for $26.99. Also available to consumers from Warner Home Video is Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas! in a deluxe edition on Blu-ray disc, retailing for $24.98.
Celebrate that special time of year with Dr. Seuss’ magical stories. Just in time for the gift-giving season, Dr. Seuss’s Holidays on the Loose! offers consumers the perfect collection of iconic classics in an all new gift set that is sure to captivate both kids and adults alike.
Dr. Seuss’s Holidays on the Loose! Featured Specials Include:
– How the Grinch Stole Christmas – “Every Who down in Whoville liked Christmas a lot.” And every family likes How the Grinch Stole Christmas! a lot! Based on Dr. Seuss’ beloved book, this joyous, heart-tickling holiday event which features the voice of legendary actor Boris Karloff, has delighted all ages since its 1966 debut. Can the Grinch steal the town’s holiday spirit by stealing their holiday treats? Or does Christmas….perhaps….mean a little bit more? The answers to those questions unfold charmingly under Chuck Jones’ pitch perfect direction.
– The Grinch Grinches The Cat in the Hat – What happens when the mischievous Grinch decides to wreak havoc on the world but the happy and ever-so-delightful Cat in the Hat stands in this way? The result is a triumphant story of an unlikely hero who uses a little caring and compassion to help save the world from an unfriendly and unbeautiful future. This special earned an Emmy Award for Outstanding Animated Program in 1982.
– Halloween is Grinch Night – The sinister Grinch who stole Whoville’s Christmas is back to declare Halloween as “Grinch Night!” While the Whos are caught in a horrible storm of Sour-Sweet Wind, the Grinch and his trusty pooch Max, take this opportunity to terrorize the little town. Unfortunately for him he is surprised by a young boy whose unexpected courage prevents the Grinch from unleashing his awful horrors onto their tranquil town. Grinch Night will never be the same! This special earned an Emmy Award for Outstanding Children’s Special in 1978.
Dr. Seuss’s Holidays on the Loose! Bonus Features Include:
– From Whoville to Hollywood – A rapping, rhyming chronicle of the original book and this beloved animated adaptation.
– Songs in the Key of Grinch – Interviews with composer Albert Hague and vocalist Thurl Ravenscroft.
– Who’s Who in Whosville – Biography Gallery.
– Grinch Song Selections – Go right to your favorite songs. Includes: Opening Song, Trim Up the Tree, Welcome, Christmas and You’re A Mean One, Mr. Grinch.
– TNT’s How the Grinch Stole Christmas Featurette – With Phil Hartman.
– Grinch Pencil Test
Now available on Blu-ray, Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas! tells the story of how the Grinch, a bitter, cave-dwelling creature, attempts to sabotage Christmas for all the merry and warm-hearted denizens of Whoville.
As all the Whos in Whoville prepare to celebrate Christmas, the Grinch schemes to halt all noisy holiday celebrations by stealing Christmas trees and presents, presuming this will sadden all the Whos in Whoville. However, when Christmas morning finally arrives, all the Whos in Whoville are glad and sing in spite of not having a tree, presents or holiday feast. This leads the Grinch to think of something he hadn’t before, that perhaps “Christmas doesn’t come from a store – maybe Christmas….perhaps….means a little bit more!”
Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas! is narrated by Boris Karloff (Frankenstein, The Mummy) and directed by animation legend Chuck Jones (Looney Tunes, What’s Opera, Doc?). The story was originally adapted to television from the 1957 children’s book, as an animated TV special and was highly praised by audiences and film animation fans alike. It has been re-broadcast numerous times since its debut with annual airings continuing to the present day. The original book was considered among one of Dr. Seuss’ finest works for children.
“Viewers of all ages have enjoyed these beautiful specials on television for decades and now have a chance to own them in these wonderful, collectible editions,” said Mary Ellen Thomas, WHV Executive Marketing Director of Family & Animation Franchise. She added, “Not only do these stories offer good holiday fun, but they also import valuable lessons. They are perfect for sharing with all members of the family.”
I love that this DVD and Blu-ray includes some of our favorite Dr. Seuss holiday classics. Our favorite episode is the classic, “How the Grinch Stole Christmas.” I remember waiting in excitement for the episode to air on television so that we could record it with our VHS player. Now, we have it on DVD and can watch it as many times before (and after) Christmas as we want. I also love that the DVD and Blu-ray includes two other fun holiday specials – “The Grinch Grinches the Cat in the Hat” and “Halloween is Grinch Night.” Not to mentio the Special Features you can watch that you won’t see on television! A big thanks to Warner Home Video for this DVD review opportunity on The Mommy-Files!
I received a copy of “Dr. Seuss’s Holidays on the Loose” on DVD from Warner Home Video to facilitate this review. All opinions expressed in this post are 100% mine.