Raising Awareness to Prepare Families for Emergency Situations & Giveaway
Emergencies can happen at any time and in any place. On September 2nd, the Ad Council and New York City Office of Emergency Management (OEM) are kicking off some big events to help encourage parents to prepare in the case of an emergency. Do you have a plan for your family for a nautral or man-made disaster? What about an “every day” contingency plan, if an apartment fire, neighborhood power outage, or a water main break happened? Would your family and friends be prepared and know where to meet up?
While many parents think they can simply “wing it” during a disaster, being the family’s first responder during an emergency takes more planning than one may realize. The Ready New York City campaign is designed to educate and empower both parents and all New Yorkers to prepare for and respond to emergencies, large or small.
During the major kick-off on September 2nd, the following things will be highlighted:
· National Preparedness Month Kickoff in NYC
· Launch of the Get Ready NYC: My Meeting Place Facebook application, which allows users to take the first step in making a plan by selecting and sharing your own meeting place with others.
· Lighting of the entire Empire State Building in yellow, which is the signature color of the ReadyNYC logo & program.
1) get an emergency supply kit (the “Go Bag” we mentioned)
2) make a family emergency plan (which relates to the Facebook application)
3) be informed about the different types of emergencies that could occur and the appropriate response. Details for the three steps can be found on the ReadyNYC website: http://www.readynyc.org/
Each week of September will represent a new weekly theme for National Preparedness Month. These relate to the three steps above, but ReadyNYC will host additional events to support these themes.
Week 1: National Preparedness Month Events
Week 2: Make a Plan (Meeting point)
Week 3: Get a Kit (Go Bag supplies, Ready New Yorker of the month)
Week 4: Get Informed and Get Involved
1 lucky reader on The Mommy-Files will win a “Go Bag” Disaster Preparedness Starter Kit!!!
WIN IT!!! (MANDATORY ENTRY)
– Tell me in a comment how you and your family are prepared for an emergency.
– Vote for The Mommy-Files on Top Mommy Blogs (simply click on the button on the sidebar) – 1 ENTRY
– Follow The Mommy-Files on Twitter – 1 ENTRY
– Tweet about the giveaway – 1 ENTRY DAILY
– Become a Fan of The Mommy-Files on Facebook – 1 ENTRY
– Become a Fan of the New York City Office of Emergency Management on Facebook – 1 ENTRY
– Follow me through Google Connect (new on the right side of the blog) – 1 ENTRY
– Subscribe to my blog – 1 ENTRY
– Add my Mommy-Files button to your blog and include the URL – 1 ENTRY
– Comment on any Non-Giveaway post on The Mommy-Files – 1 ENTRY per post comment (no limit)
– Blog about this giveaway and include the URL – 5 ENTRIES
– Contest will close at 11:59 p.m. PST on Wednesday, September 8th, 2010! Any entries after this time will be deleted!
– Contest open to U.S. residents only.
I received no compensation for this post. The prize is supplied by the New York City Office of Emergency Management. All opinions expressed in this post are 100% mine.