Cooking With The Mommy-Files: Spanish Rice
This was the first time I’ve made Spanish Rice and it was REALLY easy and tasty! The boys LOVED it and had a few helpings of it with each meal. Plus, it made a lot for our family.
3 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 or 3 garlic cloves (depending on how much you like garlic)
2 cups of long grain white rice
3 cans chicken broth
2 tbsp tomato paste
3 shakes of oregano
1 tsp salt
1) In a large skillet, brown the rice in the olive oil over medium/high heat. I cooked it until it was golden brown. Add onion and garlic. Cook the onion rice mixture, stirring frequently, about 4 minutes, or until the onions are softened.
2) In a separate sauce pan, bring the chicken broth to a simmer. Add the tomato paste, oregano, and salt and blend with a whisk.
3) Add rice to the broth mixture. Bring to a simmer.
4) Cover and cook over low heat for 20-25 minutes. If using brown rice, it will take a longer amount of time to cook.
5) Turn off the heat and let the rice sit for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.