How to Grow Your Blog!!
I started blogging in July 2008. I had 10 readers – my husband (1), my parents (2), my sisters (2), and a few friends (5). I was thrilled when my follower count jumped to 15 and SLOWLY increased over the next few months as I reconnected with old friends. I kept writing, but figured my posts were floating in a black hole somewhere in the blogosphere!
How did I come to start The Mommy-Files? I stumbled across a few blogs while doing a Google Search and entered some fun contests I found along the way. I figured I wouldn’t win, since I’m not really good at winning – lol! To my surprise, I won 2 of the 20 or so contests I entered. What a rush! I entered some more and won some more (and this is why I don’t gamble)! I decided that I wanted to get into reviewing products and hosting giveaways. I emailed a ton of companies and a few responded – some with a “yes,” some with a “no,” and some didn’t respond at all. I even hosted a few giveaways of my own (meaning I paid for the product being given away). What can I say other than I loved people visiting my blog, leaving me comments, and thanking me when they won!
It has now been over a year and a half and my numbers have jumped through the roof! Back when I was at Blogger, I had over 1,000 followers through Google Friend Connect. I was ecstatic! That was a goal I was trying to reach. Then when I moved to WordPress, my Google Friend Connect reset at zero – dangit! By the end of the first day on WordPress, I had about 40 followers (big hugs to my readers). I began to wonder how long would it take to get back up to over 1,000 again? Well, it’s been a few months and I have over 500 followers on Google Friend Connect. Not to mention I have over 1400 subscribers and over 1600 followers on Twitters – woo hoo!
It is possible to grow your blog, but it takes work and enjoying what you do! Here are a few helpful tips I’ve come to learn along the way:
– Write consistently. People will be more inclined to return to your blog if you have current posts. I know that if I visit a blog and there hasn’t been a post for 3 weeks or more, I don’t usually return (unless I know them personally). I make an effort to write at least one post a day (with the exception of Sundays – I try to stay off the computer on Sundays).
– Give comment love! Who doesn’t love a friendly comment on their post? I, along with other bloggers I know, make every effort possible to respond to comments left, as well as visiting the commentor’s blog and leaving them a comment. I do not set “automatic” comments, but respond to individual comments. Please note: I do not respond to individual comments left on my giveaways.
– Participate in daily memes! I have been introduced to many new blogs through my participation in daily memes. I first started with Wordless Wednesday (linky love to 5 Minutes for Mom) and Aloha Friday (linky love to An Island Life). I have even created a few of my own, including: Tell Your Good News Tuesday and Thankful Thursday.
– Give your readers a place to link up! I have found it helpful to provide a link each week where other bloggers can enter links to giveaways they are hosting. I provide a link-up page with my Share Your Giveaway Sundays post.
– Establish Credibility. I have read on many blogs that the reviewers don’t like to write negative comments or reviews about products. I, on the other hand, feel more inclined to trust their advice if they write about both the likes and dislikes of a product. I aim to do that with my reviews.
– Post about real life. While I don’t write about every personal thing that happens to me, I do write about many of them (i.e. embarrassing moments, moments in motherhood, things I’m thankful for, and more). I have found a huge support system with my readers and hope they feel the same way. 🙂
– Post professionally written material. Before publishing your post, run a spell-check and make sure the article sounds good (avoiding misspelled words, poor grammar, or other typos). Also, be sure to abide by the new FTC rules regarding reviews and giveaways!
Have fun with your blog! I hope these tips may be helpful to someone out there! Happy Thursday everyone. HUGS!!!
P.S. Feel free to leave a link to your blog below and I’ll be sure to visit and leave you a comment!