KIDS BOOK REVIEW & GIVEAWAY – Dr. Hippo Series
Thanks to Mom Fuse, I had the opportunity to review some truly wonderful books from the Hippocratic Press. We all have had a child with a cold, earache, sore throat, diarrhea, or a fever. Many times, our child doesn’t know what’s going on or why they feel the way they feel. Sometimes, we as adults aren’t sure what to do or how to react. The Dr. Hippo Series is a great way to help both child and adult. The Dr. Hippo Series consists of 5 remarkable books written by Dr. Charlotte Cowan. The books are written for children ages 2-7 and include a helpful parent guide at the back. The five books include Peeper Has a Fever, Katie Caught a Cold, Sadie’s Sore Throat, The Moose with the Loose Poops, and The Little Elephant with the Big Earache.
In Peeper Has a Fever, it is the day of the diving contest and a picnic. However, Peeper wakes up to realize he doesn’t want any pancakes – the first sign to his mom that he may be sick. She takes his temperature and finds it to be 104 degrees. She calls Dr. Hippocrates who gives her great advice and helps in getting Peeper back to normal! This is a wonderful book for Parent and Child and is fun to read. There is also a Parent Guide called “at the back with helpful information such as “How High is Too High?” or “Won’t My Child Need Antibiotics?” You can purchase Peeper Has a Fever online for $17.95.
In Katie Caught a Cold, a polar bear named Katie is having a great time skating with her friends. She begins sneezing and soon after develops a cold. Will she get over her cold in time for the Ice Show? Dr. Hippo helps Katie and her mom by teaching them about colds and how her mom can help make Katie more comfortable. This is a great book for parent and child! It also contains a Parent Guide called “Conquering the Common Cold” with helpful information such as what over-the-counter medications to give your child and worrisome symptoms of a cold. You can purchase Katie Caught a Cold online for $17.95.
In Sadie’s Sore Throat, a giraffe named Sadie is beading some necklace when she begins to feel sick. Her mother is worried about Sadie’s sore throat and takes care of her before they make a visit to Dr. Hippocrates, her friendly pediatrician who is a hippo. Will Sadie get better and be able to go to the fair? Will she win a prize for her beaded necklaces? Included is a Parent Guide called “Simplifying Sore Throats,” with answers to questions such as “What is Strep Throat” or “How can I protect my family from sore throats?” You can purchase Sadie’s Sore Throat online for $17.95.
In The Moose with Loose Poops, while at a family picnic, a moose named Miles develops a stomach ache. His camping trip with his dad is postponed when Miles throws up and has loose poops (diarrhea). His parents take great care of him and visit Dr. Hippo. Will Miles get better in time to go on a fun filled camping trip with his dad? Included is a Parent Guide called “Getting Through Gastroenteritis” with answers to questions such as “How much fluid should you give your child?” and “When should you call the doctor?” You can purchase The Moose with Loose Poops online for $17.95.
In The Little Elephant with the Big Earache, a little elephant named Eddie wakes up to an awful earache after a busy afternoon of making mud pies with his cousins. His mother takes excellent care of him and makes a trip to see Dr. Hippo who reassures them both. Will Eddie get better in time for his birthday? Included is a Parent Guide called “Ear Infections Made Easy: Answers to Common Questions” which include answers to questions such as “What to do and when to call for help with a sick child?” and more. You can purchase The Little Elephant with the Big Earache online for $17.95.
The Hippocratic Press has very generously offered to give one reader the entire Dr. Hippo Series – that’s 5 books including Peeper Has a Fever, Katie Caught a Cold, Sadie’s Sore Throat, The Moose with the Loose Poops, and The Little Elephant with the Big Earache. That is an $89.75 value!
WIN IT! (MANDATORY ENTRY)
– Tell me in a comment which book sounds the most interesting.
– Follow my blog (or tell me you already follow) – 1 entry
– Subscribe to my blog (or tell me you already subscribe) – 1 entry
– Subscribe to my blog via email (or tell me you already subscribe) – 1 entry
– Add my button (or tell me you already have it) – 1 entry
– Favorite me on Technorati – 1 entry
– Follow me on Twitter (themommyfiles) and “tweet” about the giveaway – 2 entries
– Blog about the giveaway and leave me a link – 2 entries
– Sign up to receive the Top Ten Tips to Keep Kids Healthy All Year Long through the Hippocratic Press – 1 entry
– Tell me in a comment why you want to win this giveaway – 1 entry
– Giveaway ends at 11:59 p.m. PST on Sunday, May 24th, 2009 and the winner will be announced on this blog on Monday, May 25th (as well as emailed). **IF YOU SUBMIT A COMMENT AFTER 11:59 PM ON SUNDAY, MAY 24TH, IT WILL BE DELETED**
– Please leave your email address in your comment so I can contact you if you win the giveaway.
– Winners must respond by Tuesday, May 26th or another winner will be chosen.
– Open to US residents only.