5 Ways to Upgrade Your Home

By Shannon Gurnee
In Do-It-Yourself
January 7, 2020

Today, we’re sharing 5 Ways to Upgrade Your Home as part of a sponsored post.

Ways to Upgrade Your Home

In our lifetime, we will likely make a lot of purchases, but one of the big ones is the purchase of a home. Over time, we want to see our home increase in value and one way to do that is by making upgrades. These upgrades may not all happen at once but may need to take place over a number of years. Here are five ways to upgrade your home.

1 – Add new lighting. It’s amazing how much good lighting can open up and brighten your home! A room with poor lighting can look small, dark and cramped, whereas a well-lit room feels open, airy and inviting. An easy way to improve lighting can be by adding table lamps or floor lamps. Tall floor lamps in dark corners or lamps on side tables are easy ways to improve the lighting in your home.

Upgrading Your Home

2 – Add wallpaper. I remember wallpaper when I was a kid and today; it is WAY different! Wallpaper today is available in a variety of graphics and patterns and is now even easy to remove and install! Be sure to research the cost of wallpapering a room so you can plan out an accurate budget for this home upgrade.

3 – Update your cabinetry. This could be as simple as updating the drawer pulls and handles or replacing the cabinets altogether. You’ll want to look at updating the cabinetry in your kitchen, laundry room, bathrooms and hallways. You may even consider adding cabinets in your garage as well.

Ways to Upgrade Your Home

4 – Replace the flooring throughout your home. There are all kinds of types of flooring out there, including laminate, tile, carpet, and solid wood. Not to mention different patterns and colors you can choose from. Perhaps you want to upgrade your home look and replace linoleum with heated wooden floors or replace tile with new carpet. You may even want to add a new floor rug, which is a great way to open up rooms in your home as well. It’s really all a matter of personal preference.

5 – Landscape your yard. Often, landscaping is overlooked. Add in some trees, a couple of raised garden beds or flowering shrubs to add curb appeal to your home. If you’re new to landscaping, consider heading to your local nursery or greenhouse to get help picking out plants and flowers. Start out by adding a couple of flowering shrubs and then add a small raised garden around your walkway. Plants by the front door are great too!

Remember that while upgrading your home can take a lot of effort and time, it can also be a lot of fun. Enjoy the experience and how beautiful your home will be once your upgrades are complete. Oh, and let’s not forget the increase in value too – woohoo!

How would you upgrade your home to increase its value?

Shannon Gurnee is the author of Redhead Mom formerly "The Mommy-Files", a national blog with a loyal following. She has a Bachelor's Degree in Marriage, Family, and Human Development with a Minor in Business Management. Shannon and her husband, Frank, have a large family with 6 awesome kids and love living on the Central Coast near San Luis Obispo, California, as well as traveling around the world. A full-time Social Media and Professional Blogger, Shannon also serves as a National Brand Ambassador for many well-known companies. Her blog focuses on motherhood, family fun activities, traveling, fashion, beauty, technology, wedding ideas and recipes while providing professional opinions on products, performances, restaurants, and a variety of businesses.

18 Responses to “5 Ways to Upgrade Your Home”

1. Colleen says:

I would absolutely love to redo our bathrooms. They are a bit dated, and I think they could use a little somethin’ somethin’.

2. Nicole says:

Oh I love these upgrades! Great ideas to spruce up your home!

3. Julie Cao says:

Your post reminded me of upgrading my backyard by trimming trees and add more plants and flowers Thanks for the tips.

4. I have been thinking of upgrading my kitchen cabinets for so long. In fact i need a new kitchen alltogether but the cabinets are the first thing I would change

5. Matt Taylor says:

Those are all great things to update in a home. I definitely need to update my cabinets and countertops in my kitchen. New lighting fixtures as well.

6. I do want to do some upgrades at some point. They just can be so pricey though, so we have to save up. We did recently get hardwood floors downstairs!

7. I love redoing lighting in our home. For me, lighting is like jewelry. It adds that special sparkly touch.

8. I moved to a new home last summer. I’d love to update the flooring and put laminate down. But it will likely be a few years before I can do it though.

9. I would redo my entire house, does that count?!

10. Tammy says:

I want to upgrade my kitchen with new cabinets and countertops. Those always sell a home so quickly and that’s where I spend most of my time.

11. It always seems that we’re updating our home. This post will be very handy, should we venture into more upgrading.

12. Beth says:

We are planning on replacing some carpet with hardwood flooring. I’m also helping to upgrade our boiler in the near future.

13. Brandy says:

These are some great ways to upgrade a home. The home is where we spend the most time, that’s why it’s great to have these tips to upgrade the home.

14. We are thinking of upgrading our home for some time now. Good thing that I bumped into this post. Thanks for sharing these wonderful ideas.

15. Ruth I says:

These are great ideas. It’s refreshing seeing some home renovations. Definitely saying yes to this.

16. Bethel says:

adding new lighting only makes wonder to your house. very nice house youve got there

17. A fresh coat or two of painting, all over the world, definitely! The whole place looks like a dungeon….so dark in some corners, even.

18. Kathy says:

My husband and I are planning on doing a lot of upgrades with our home. We’ve already put all new windows in the house, and one of my daughters rooms has been completely re done. We are currently working on a few other things too. Lots to do to increase value.